The Pirate turned 20 on Sunday. He has never been a cake lover, he's more of a pie guy so when I asked what kind of birthday "cake" he wanted "cheesecake" was a normal response. He also mentioned Pecan Pie but that's what my Mama will make him this weekend. Later that day when I was
playing on researching on Pinterest I saw where I had pinned a Snickers Cheesecake. Quick phone call.."do you like Snickers" "yea" "what do you think about a Snickers Cheesecake?" "ummm, maybe" " it has an Oreo crust and I have gluten free oreos so SweetGirl would be able to eat it" " oh, sure then, that'll be good"
I have never made a real cheesecake, not that I remember, I don't remember ever using a water bath before, I used those Jello boxed cheesecake mixes. The recipe was simple enough after I read it twice but I'm not going to share that recipe, you can click on the link for it.
After we cut into it I decided some modifications were needed and the Pirate requested it be sweeter next time. More Snickers was also a good suggestion, the Chosen One didn't get any in his slice. Don't get me wrong, it was a winner but I'm going to tweak it. Henry approved, I think he looks like he wants a slice, that or he is concerned about the flames coming from the cheesecake!
Henry lives with the Pirate and his roommate Pirate John not with me. Henry was bought when the Pirate bought his sofa off Craigslist, the Pirate is not a hunter.
easy to make as gluten free
* the cream cheese and eggs need to be at room temperature so keep this in mind as you prep
- INGREDIENTS NEEDED
- 36 chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos), I used gluten free
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 8-oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 regular-size Snickers bars, cut into 1/4-inch slices. Reserve a half bar of slices for topping
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted and salted peanuts, optional ( I would have never suspected in but when I looked at the store brand they had wheat, I used Planter's which are gf)
- 1. Make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Wrap bottom and sides with 2 large foil pieces.
- Mist a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Pulse cookies in a food processor until crushed or put in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin).
- Add butter and mix thoroughly
- Press into an even layer in pan.
- Bake until firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- 2. Make filling:
- Place a roasting pan filled with 1 inch hot water on oven's center rack.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar; beat for 1 minute.
- Beat in eggs.
- Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Beat in vanilla, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- 3. Layer:
- Sprinkle 5 1/2 of the Snickers bar slices over crust.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Place in water bath.
- Bake until cake is set around edges but still jiggles in center, about 50-55 minutes.
- 4. Remove cake from roasting pan, remove foil.
- Place cake on a rack to cool.
- Cover and chill until firm, 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- When ready to serve, drizzle top with caramel sauce and top with chopped peanuts and Snickers slices, if desired.
You really don't want to know the calorie count on this, if you want to spoil your enjoyment go ahead and click on the recipe link at the beginning of the post but don't say I didn't warn you!