04 January 2011

What's Cooking?

photo by HHedwig


Tonight I get to do what I did almost every Tuesday night last school year...cook for a group of teenagers. A wonderful man and I teach the high school seniors Sunday School class. He is heavy on the teaching and I am heavy on the nurturing. Last year we had a large active group and they wanted additional Bible study during the week. So they came to my house on Tuesday nights, the wonderful man taught and I cooked. I had some of the Class of 2009 join us before they returned to college after Christmas to share their first semester freshman year experiences. Tonight some of those from last year's Bible study group are coming to share with the Class of 2011. One of their very favorite meals I would prepare was Paula Deen's Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf with Smashed Potatoes so that will be on the table tonight in their honor. I've shared the recipe before but it is worth rerunning. I am altering it this time for the adjustments I made. I am not big on meatloaf and even I like it. Also I always make at least three at a time. Leftovers (if they exist) freeze very well.

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef (*may substitute turkey)
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled ( * I cut my bacon up with kitchen shears then fry, I do this for a
      lot of recipes-so much easier)
1 8z pkg of grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 lg egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2/3 cup ketchup
4 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 3 oz can French Fried Onions

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Optional-Line pan with slices of loaf bread to absorb grease, these are to be thrown away not served) 
In large bowl mix 1st 8 ingredients together well (*hands work best)
In small bowl mix ketchup and mustard
Mix 1/4 cup of ketchup mixture into meat mixture
Form into loaf shape to cook on a rack or put in 9x5x3 loaf pan
Spread remaining ketchup mixture on top
Bake for 45 minutes 
Spread French Fried Onions on top
Cook an additional 10-15 minutes
Remove from oven and let sit before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great dish for sharing! Wishing you a Happy and Creative New Year!

    ReplyDelete

YOU ROCK! Seriously, I love getting comments, so know that you have put a bit of added sunshine in my day. Thanks so much and I hope your day is glorious!